What is Oculoplasty and Ocular Oncology?
Oculoplasty and ocular oncology are surgical branches of ophthalmology. They deal with the medical and surgical management of diseases, deformities, and abnormalities of the eyelids, lacrimal (tear) system, orbit (bony socket), and adjacent facial structures. It encompasses tumours or cancers of the eye, the eyelids, and the orbit. It also deals with plastic and reconstructive surgery of the eyelids and orbits. It also manages an ophthalmic socket and an ocular prosthesis for cosmetic rehabilitation.The eyelids and their surrounding area are extremely complex and delicate structures that are an essential part of a normal facial structure. They are also critical for vision conservation and protection. Oculoplastic surgeons are uniquely qualified to perform this delicate surgery. They have extensive experience dealing with the eye, despite such procedures may have a significant impact on vision.
Oculoplasty surgeons perform plastic and reconstructive procedures in the following categories:
1. Watering of the eye and disorders of the tear drainage pathway
2. Entropion and ectropion correction
3. Ptosis correction (drooping eyelids)
4. Electroepilation for misdirected eyelashes
5. Eyelid lesion removal
6. Eyelid retraction and repair
7. Evisceration and enucleation with implant placement
8. Anophthalmic socket reconstruction surgery
9. Ocular surface reconstruction
10. Orbital tumor removal
11. Eyelid tumor removal and eyelid reconstruction
12. Surgery for ocular and orbital trauma ( Lid tear repair, orbital floor fracture repair)
13. Thyroid eye disease management
14. Blepharospasm (excessive blinking) treatment with injections of Botulinum toxin.
The department is managed by a well-trained oculoplastic surgeon, Dr. Surbhi Saboo. It is ably supported by a team of expert medical consultants of diverse specialties that include physicians, pathologists, and a visiting otolaryngologist (ENT surgeon).
- cn-department -